Geoff Barton is General Secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders. He talks to Iesha about leadership, literacy, books and radio.
- Geoff’s love of 70s and 80s icon Noel Edmonds
- Why his mum declared his exam results a “failure”
- Why leaders need to ask fewer but better questions
- Why literacy and social justice are linked for Geoff
- Why Geoff feels that writing helps him to think
- The newspaper article that Geoff had 20mins to write after a major disaster
- His controversial election as general secretary of ASCL over the preferred candidate
- Is ASCL a union that just wants to hold the status quo and be compliant with government?
- Why Head teachers who become MAT CEOs are sometimes caught short
Resources/people featured or mentioned
- The hidden lives of learners- Graham Nuthall
- The magic of thinking big – David J Schwatrz
- Dylan Williams
- The social animal -David Brooks
- Hold tight – Jeffery Boayke
- Blink – Malcolm Gladwell
- Matthew Syed – Black box thinking
Show notes and links for this episode can be found at https://www.lkmco.org/podcast/barton/
Found the show useful?
Leave a review on iTunes
‘Oui’ by Simon Mathewson from and ‘Jump for joy’ by Scott Holmes both from http://freemusicarchive.org
Sample of ‘Man don’t care’ by JME . “It’s nice knowing Geoff” and “flame thrower” copyright Geoff Barton